Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Kendra Kopelke, cousin of Buffalo Bill

Kendra Kopelke is a poet, teacher, director of the University of Baltimore's MFA Creative Writing and Publishing Arts program, musician, editor, mother, dog-owner, bookmaker and cousin to William Cody Buffalo Bill.

Before the interview, Kendra and I free-wrote on the prompt what does it mean to express?
From Kendra's free-write:

  • It [expression] is a way of making a response to being alive, isn't it?
  • Every leaf I have seen and held in my hand and marveled at has been a new beginning for me.  It expresses its life - through me and gives me a feeling for being alive.  Everyone wants to fulfill, fulfill, fulfill - right?  One's hope is to feel alive in all of its dimensions.  Words do that for me, not any words, but the words that live or make their home in poems.

Some quotes from the interview:

  • "Art makes the yes."
  • "How do we truly learn things?"
  • "Poems get to the heart of things."
  • "Art comes out of the disagreement."
  • "You are teaching us the underneath."


No comments:

Post a Comment